Goals For New Year

2010 has been a great year for me both professionally and personally.  In the early 2010 I wrote a post on, "Why new year resolutions don't matter but goals do matter".  And the motivation behind it was I made a two page full of goals for year 2010.  I made some 24 goals to hit in the year 2010.   My wife would even have thought at one point that this guy has no focus and there is no chance he is going to finish all of them.  To keep my subconscious mind focus on my goals I still have them posted in front of my desktop, so that I see it everyday.

Wow ! ambitious it might sound at first but let me tell you that all the top priorities were completed and some were 25% completed.  One of my goals was to write at least 250 blog posts in year 2010 and as a regular reader you can easily figure out that I was able to do it.  Yeah !

Some Goals didn't made any sense to me after two months or so.  After six months I laughed at myself.  But I was not ashamed of myself.  I still make it a point to write down even the wackiest of them.  Because I don't know which one will work out in my best interest.  What is my long term goal and what are my operational priorities I don't know ahead of time so I tend to write them all.  I will filter them later.   Even I knew that I cannot do them all so my wife was right.

One strikingly amazing outcome of my writing goals was that I spotted some trends.  I was able to see which way I am headed.  I was able to see trends in which I see my passion exists.  I have outlined goals for year 2011 and now they are in one page reduced to half, just 12 of them.  I plan to complete most of them.  Next year writing more than 250 blog posts is definitely a goal but also doing something radically different with it is my wish.

I figured out that if we try to push our limits all the time while writing our goals we will eventually reach to a point where something amazing will happen and something which you couldn't have achieved otherwise.  I also figured out that we have to embrace change so it is OK if we feel to change our goals, majors, passion and even our ideology.

Some emerging themes I want to focus in the next year are : How to do things faster?  How to touch more and more people?  How to do more with less?  How to achieve growth in a sustainable way?

If you haven't tried writing your goals out then I urge you to experiment this with me for one year.  It is both challenging and fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Blamers vs Seekers

A Make Sure List For Every Meeting To Stay On Track

Sugar A Status Symbol ! Really !