Why Failure Is Not Included In Our Curriculum?

Failure is a gem of life.  If you haven't failed you have never lived.   In our education system which was designed from Henry Ford's Assembly line model of mass production, we have always stressed on productivity and success.  Did you passed your exam? Did you completed your exam on time?  What grade you got for your exam?

I have no problem with exams, they are good, but I have problem with our too much emphasis on exams to measure a person's learning.  Can exams validate that a person knows everything?  However I have problem with the entire education system's approach towards learning and measuring it with success as a major parameter.

In all of my book readings I have seen how a failure can teach you life lessons.  There are quotes after quotes on Failure by famous leaders who have made it big.   Here is my favorite one.

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career, I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty six times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over in my life. And that's why I succeed!" - Michael Jordan

Failure which is an integral part of our learning process is never mentioned in our education system.  Why we cannot design systems where there is enough room for failure.  We are giving education assuming that life is perfect and nothing will go wrong.  We would never fail and life will turn out our own way.  We have to  teach how to struggle over come failure.  Failure acts as the white blood cells of our body which fights germs and give us knowledge.

I don't have clear solutions as to what can be done to education system on the whole.  We all are responsible for the current state of education.

Popular posts from this blog

Blamers vs Seekers

A Make Sure List For Every Meeting To Stay On Track

Sugar A Status Symbol ! Really !