The Busyness Syndrome

Every once in a while you would have heard lots of people saying I am too busy.  Whenever you call someone to follow up on a task all you hear is, "I am so sorry I was so busy I couldn't get it done".  Hey this includes me too.  Even I was affected by this.


We are getting too much comfortable with what we are doing everyday and leaving little bit of time to do some thing out of the box.  It is not natural to hear someone say "I am very busy and I have no time to do all that stuff", when you tell them to see a movie, learn something, read some book or learn a new skill(cooking, drawing or dancing, playing music).

Well actually they are not busy.  They are just hiding themselves from doing the uncomfortable act of challenging their status quo.   And overcoming the fear.  We have taken the word, "Busy" as an industry standard, to use it whenever someone challenges us to do something different than what we are used to do.

I am not saying people aren't doing anything or just staying at home and spending their time.  They are working but the way they are working isn't working.  Everyone wants to do the same thing and expect different results.  It is not possible.

To do something radically different, you would have to break your existing working pattern and style. Sometimes you would have to quit what you are doing daily.  Of course it would require lots of guts but on guts later.  Being busy is not the solution.  It is just a part of life.  Being busy is not life.

There is so much interesting and cool stuff to do with life, I felt that my busyness cannot prevent me from doing it.  The stakes are high.  I can't let it go.  If I feel that I want to draw something, I will do it.  If I want to write something or create a new website I will do it.  I have a passion to draw but when I get old I don't want to say others that once upon a time I used to draw.  I don't want it to be a part of my life.  I want it to be my life. 


The word busy is powerful.  When someone says, "I was busy", naturally or unnaturally we feel that person would be definitely inventing some earth shattering technology or doing some outstanding research at MIT.  And we just don't argue with that person.  How easy to throw a word at someone that doesn't mean anything !  And surprisingly it works.  

To do something different and still important you will have to quit lots of your existing routine stuff that make little or no sense.  For God sake don't spend hours on Facebook refreshing and scrolling the mouse button to see what the heck is happening.  Nothing is happening except what you do.  Everything else is just there and will be there.

Every few months take some time to evaluate yourself and your life.  Evaluate whether you are doing those things that you should be doing or Is your lifestyle shaping you?  Go and ask others how is your performance.  See whether you are aligned emotionally, physically and financially. 

At 70 years of age don't feel regretful that I should have done something during those best days of my life when I was busy.  And those best days are now.  Right here, right now.

Go do something.

Popular posts from this blog

Blamers vs Seekers

A Make Sure List For Every Meeting To Stay On Track

Sugar A Status Symbol ! Really !